Friday, August 5, 2011

Am I Submitted?

    The short answer, for me at least, is "no; not particularly".

    I would desperately like to tell you that I am a surrendered man.  I was once, thoroughly surrendered and for a lengthy season at that.  But not as I write this to you.  Lord, help me.

   You see, I want it all.  Don't get me wrong; I don't have overwhelming appetites for the forbidden fruit of the world.  I simply want every good and desirable thing we Christians are afforded in scripture.  It's not that it's wrong to want them, its that currently I place having them above Submission (click for this week's sermon by the same name) to the mission before me. I am too often like Jonah..


1 The word of the LORD (the tetragrammaton; "YHWH" - God the Father) came to Jonah(means "Dove" - symbol of God the Holy Spirit) the son of Amittai (means "Truth" - Jesus Christ) < so a few words in I am already leaning a bit forward in my chair- the entire Trinity is here, thinly veiled > saying, 2 “Arise, go to Nineveh the great city and cry against it, for their wickedness has come up before Me.” 3 But Jonah rose up to flee to Tarshish (means "delightful") from the presence of the LORD. So he went down to Joppa (means "beautiful"), found a ship which was going to Tarshish, paid the fare and went down into it to go with them to Tarshish from the presence of the LORD.

    So, all three persons of the Almighty God of the Universe entrusted him with a mission. It was unpleasant, so instead he went out of his way, even paying to try go someplace delightful and beautiful in earthly terms.


   Yep; sounds like me. Today.

    How about you?  A few weeks ago a brother here at Cornerstone and I were texting, and he was remarking, ironically enough, upon my steady faith.  I replied " Galatians 2:20 - dead men don't flinch" .  It was an encouragement to him, but the problem is I am only selectively dead.  Usually in the areas where I have been broken, HARD.  There must be an easier way to get to dead - to embracing whatever mission from God with abandon - than first being reduced to whale chum.

    This is what Walking with Jesus is all about.  It's an ongoing love relationship that sticks together, thick or thin. Or, sometimes, through Hell and high water.


BLUF:   This will be posted next week, as class was cancelled and we didn't have the opportunity to study this sermon together.  ><> db

 
   
   
   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, join us with your Comments and Questions